Posted by Mariah | Posted in 21-Day-Adventure Cleanse, Main Dishes, Soups | Posted on 08-12-2010
This has got to be the absolute BEST soup to warm you up this time of year. First of all, it’s yummy. It’s kind of spicy, but not too spicy. Kind of creamy, but not too thick.
Second of all, it’s easy yet different. If you’re like me, and you’ve eaten nothing but starchy leftovers for the last week, you crave new tastes. The coconut and curry in this soup are the perfect combo because they’re comfort-food-esque but still ethnic — and require no more skill than chopping and boiling.
Third of all — and you knew I was going to say this — it’s healthy. Carrots, cabbage, garbanzo beans, broccoli and peas are the featured veggies. And I sauteed them all in liquid aminos, so there’s no oil. Even the coconut milk is low-fat, so it’s lower in calories and saturated fat than the regular. But still tastes every bit as indulgent.
1 onion, diced
1 small red pepper (or 1/2 large), chopped
1 cup cabbage, chopped
1 large carrot, chopped
1 small head of broccoli, chopped
1 cup frozen green peas
1 14-oz. can of garbanzo beans
1/4 or 1/2 tsp. red curry paste
1/2 tsp. tumeric
1/2 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. minced ginger
2 large cloves of garlic
4 tbsp. liquid aminos
2 cups of water
1 14-oz. can light coconut milk
1 tbsp. brown sugar (optional)
1 to 2 tsp. fish sauce (optional for taste only)
- Saute onions and pepper with liquid aminos on medium-high heat until clear.
- Add garlic and saute until fragrant, about two minutes.
- Add carrots, ginger, spices and cabbage. Saute for five more minutes until veggies soften.
- Add water and bring to a boil.
- Add brown sugar, coconut milk, broccoli and frozen peas and lower heat so that soup is just simmering.
- Simmer for five minutes, or until peas and broccoli are still tender-crisp and serve.
- Add fresh lime, fish sauce, cilantro, chopped peanuts and red chili sauce for even more flavor!
TIP: This soup, like many, is even better if you serve it the next day. This makes an 8-serving batch, so you should have plenty leftover to take for lunch.