Posted by Mariah | Posted in Desserts | Posted on 01-02-2011
I’ve always been a chocolate fiend, and I’ve certainly never let the old vegan diet stop me from my chocoholism (cheeseaholism is a whole nother story). The recipe for the cake part of these cupcakes is essentially what comes up number one if you Google “vegan chocolate cupcakes.” The recipe comes from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over The World, which is written by two of my favorite vegan recipe authors, Isa Chandra Moskowitz and Terry Hope Romero. While the cupcakes bake up moist, chocolaty and delicious, the frosting part of this recipe is what’s really unique. It’s made with fair trade, organic cocoa powder, buttery spread, powdered sugar and hazelnut milk. It definitely has a Nutella flavor, which my kids absolutely love! Tip: If dealing with nut allergies, just use soy or rice milk in place of the hazelnet. It won’t be Nutella-y, but it will still taste great!
1 cup hazelnut milk
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup canola oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon almond extract, chocolate extract, or more vanilla extract
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup cocoa powder, Dutch-processed or regular
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line a muffin pan with paper or foil liners.
- Whisk together the soy milk and vinegar in a large bowl, and set aside for a few minutes to curdle. Add the sugar, oil, vanilla extract, and other extract, if using, to the soy milk mixture and beat until foamy. In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Add in two batches to wet ingredients and beat until no large lumps remain (a few tiny lumps are OK).
- Pour into liners, filling 3/4 of the way. Bake 18 to 20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Transfer to a cooling rack and let cool completely.
2 cups powdered sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/4 cup hazelnut milk
- Cream the butter, vanilla, sugar and hazelnut milk together until smooth.
- Add cocoa and mix until smooth.
- Spread over cooled cupcakes.