Posted by Mariah | Posted in Main Dishes, Meal Ideas, Pastas, Salads | Posted on 02-02-2010
I created this cold Soba Noodle Salad for @PickleSugarPlum, as explained in an earlier post for Grilled Ahi Tuna Steaks. This recipe was created, in part, to be used with the leftover tuna made with that recipe, but you could certainly make this all on its own. If you’d like more protein, I suggest adding firm tofu or edamame.
The great thing about this salad is that’s it’s extremely easy to make. I like to stir-fry the veggies so that they’re crisp and flavored nicely with the sesame oil and garlic. This maximizes the flavor of the sesame oil and, in return, requires less oil in the dressing.
I taste-tested this on my family and they really enjoyed it! When serving to small children, it’s wise to cut up the noodles before you serve them, as the dressing on the salad makes the noodles a little slippery for young fingers to twirl around a fork.
1 carrot, sliced on the diagonal
1 small zucchini, sliced on the diagonal
1 small red pepper, sliced
1 small green pepper, sliced
1 head of broccoli, chopped
1 cup cauliflower, chopped
1 clove garlic, diced or pressed
1 1/2 tbsp. toasted sesame oil
1/2 tsp. sea salt (optional)
3 tbsp. cilantro, stemmed and chopped
2 scallions, diced
1 bundle Koyo organic soba noodles
Ingredients for Dressing:
2 1/2 tbsp. teriaki sauce
1 tsp. honey
2 tbsp. fresh lime juice
1 tsp. minced ginger
1 tbsp. rice wine vinegar
1 tsp. toasted sesame oil
Directions for Salad:
1. Boil soba needles according to package directions. Meanwhile, heat oil on medium-high heat in a large wok.
2. Add all veggies and stir fry for about five minutes. Add garlic and saute two more minutes.
3. Add scallions and cilantro and stir fry about two more minutes. Set veggies aside to cool.
Directions for Dressing and the Salad:
1. Whisk all ingredients together.
2. When noodles are cooked, drain and rinse with cold water. Combine veggies, noodles and dressing.
3. Chill for at least one hour or serve at room temperature.
4. Serve with Grilled Ahi Tuna Steaks. Garnish with additional scallion and cilantro, if desired.