Posted by Mariah | Posted in 21-Day-Adventure Cleanse, Salads, Uncategorized | Posted on 19-10-2009
Apple picking season is at its peak! While we love apple crisp, pie, cobbler and the like, the first apple dish I’ve made this season is a healthier twist on an old-school favorite — apple salad. Gone are the marshmallows and mayo. In their place are pink pearl apples, soy mayo and maple syrup! You can make this dish in mere minutes and save leftovers to pack in the kids’ lunches the next day.
The pink pearl apples really make the color in this dish pop because the flesh is actually a pastel pink! And you can get ‘em while they’re ripe at Roots Market in Cedar Falls.
2 pink pearl apples, chopped
1 gala apple, chopped
1/4 cup slivered almonds (optional)
1 bunch red or purple grapes
1/2 cup dried cranberries
2 carrots, diced
2 stalks celery, diced
1/3 cup soy mayo
1 tbsp. maple syrup
1 tbsp. Braggs Apple Cider Vinegar
1 tbsp. lemon juice
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 dash nutmeg
1. Combine chopped apples, cranberries, minced veggies, grapes and almonds in a large bowl.
2. Whisk together soy mayo, apple cider vinegar, lemon juice and maple syrup.
3. Pour the above over fruit and veggies.
4. Sprinkle spices over top.
5. Mix well to combine all ingredients and chill for at least half an hour.