Posted by Mariah | Posted in Appetizers & Sides, Breads | Posted on 23-11-2009
These corn waffles are inspired by my visit to Memphis for my cousin Ginny’s wedding in October. We went to a local BBQ joint called Corky’s where they served jalapeno hush puppies. These were the most delicious hush puppies I’d ever had in my life! I decided immediately that a healthier version could be created, and thus, we have these non-fried corn waffles. You will need a Belgian waffle maker in order to make the waffles, but you can just as easily make this recipe into corn muffins.
2 packages corn muffin mix
1 jalapeno, minced without seeds
1/4 onion, minced
2 tbsp. vegetable shortening, melted
1 1/2 cups milk
1. Preheat waffle iron or oven if making muffins.
2. Stir all ingredients together.
3. Pour mix into middle of waffle iron about 1 1/2 inches in diameter.
4. Lower iron and cook for about two minutes.
5. Serve hot with real maple syrup, butter, salsa or cilantro!