Posted by Mariah | Posted in Soups | Posted on 01-10-2009
Tags: enriched pasta, Italian, pasta, Ronzoni, spaghetti, veggie soup
If there’s one comfort food every kid loves it’s pasta. They love it served with tomato sauce, cheese sauce, in salads, stir fries and yes, even soups. This recipe combines the Italian seasonings my kids love, plus noodles and A LOT of veggies. This soup, when made with Ronzoni Smart Taste pasta, is chock full of even more vitamins, fiber, protein and calcium!
I discovered Ronzoni last weekend at our cousin Margaret Buckton’s house. This pasta looks and tastes like regular old pasta, but has all the added nutrients of what you’d normally find in a whole wheat pasta, and then some. Add mozzarella or parmasan cheese and you’ve got a yummy, wholesome Italian dinner.
1 medium onion, diced
2 tsp. olive oil
3 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
5 cups chopped seasonal veggies of your choice: squash, zucchini, eggplant, brussels sprouts, carrots, green beans, broccoli, rutabaga
2 cups diced tomatoes (canned or fresh)
1 can garbanzo or white beans
1 tsp. dried basil (or use fresh if available)
1 tsp. dried oregano
1 tsp. thyme
3 tbsp. fresh parsley
6 cups water
3 cubes low-sodium veggie bouillion
1/2 package Ronzoni thin spaghetti, broken in half
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Saute onions on medium heat for five minutes or unil clear.
2. Add garlic and saute two minutes.
3. Add spices, except parsley.
4. Add all veggies, tomatoes, bouillion and water.
5. Bring to a boil, then add spaghetti noodles.
6. Boil for 10 minutes, then simmer on low till veggies are cooked through.
7. Serve hot and garnish with parsley and grated mozzarella cheese.
I served this with some crusty Italian bread and olive oil!