Posted by Mariah | Posted in Appetizers & Sides, Salads | Posted on 09-09-2009
With fresh basil, tomato and mozzarella, this cucumber salad is a twist on those fabulous sandwiches served at old-school Italian delis. I served this up with homemade pizza, but it will go great with any late summer/early fall dinner. It also stays fresh for several days, so it’s great to pack leftovers into kids’ and parents’ lunches.
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
8 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 heaping tbsp. organic sugar
1/4 cup water
1/2 teaspoon sea or kosher salt
1 clove garlic, minced
10 fresh basil leaves
3 small fresh cucumbers, chopped (pickling or thin slicing)
10 cherry tomatoes
1/2 cup fresh mozzarella, cubed
3 garlic or regular chives, minced
Freshly ground pepper and salt to taste
1. Slice cukes in half, turn them onto their bellies and cut them into thirds. Cross-cut the thirds to make cubes.
2. Slice tomatoes in half.
3. Mince garlic and add it to a large liquid measuring cup.
4. Pour 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil into the measuring cup.
5. Add balsamic vinegar and sugar.
6. Whisk the above ingredients together until well combined. Add water and whisk again.
7. Sprinkle salt, pepper and garlic chives over the cukes and tomatoes in a large bowl. Add mozzarella, then pour vinegar/oil mixture over the veggies/cheese.
8. Stir all ingredients until well combined. Do a taste test and add salt and/or pepper to taste.